Archway, London

Archway, London
Maple and Santos Rosewood on Birch plywood
What did I make?
Doors and drawer fronts with integral handles
End panels
Wall under panels with integral led lighting
Adjusting of units
Bespoke units
Door to utility area
What would I charge for a similar project?
Other costs
Fridge/freezer, Stove, Dishwasher, Extractor £1450.00
Ikea units and fittings £1300
Gas connection £70
Misc £150
I fitted this myself, expect to pay up to £4000.00 including stripping out the old kitchen and some plumbing, electrical, painting and tiling work.
Total cost

This project was a bit different in that my wife and I were the clients! We had some conflicting ideas but worked it out with a bit of give and take.

As we live in a 70’s house, I wanted this reflected in the materials and style. This would enable my best ever Ebay bargain, a set of Eeio Arnio chairs to sit comfortably in the final kitchen. We already had the table in a green formica which we liked and wanted to keep. As such we decided to go with the same material for the worktops. We also already had a set of spotlights from the 70’s and decided to retain these.

My wife was born and raised in Jamaica and so wanted the colours of her national flag (yellow, green and black) featured as much as possible. This gave us to the yellow blinds, which with the worktops made us two thirds of the way there. I didn’t want a black kitchen, so a compromise was reached in that we would have a dark wood.

I spent a bit of time looking at 70’s sideboards for inspiration. Many were made of Rosewood with a Maple interior. I liked this combination and so we visited the suppliers to select the veneers. Most of the veneered kitchens I do use the veneer in a repeating fashion, seen here in the upper maple units. I decided to lay the rosewood in a random pattern. Each individual strip is 10cm wide with a groove between each piece. These grooves coincide with the gap between drawer fronts. After completion I came across a 70’s Poggenpohl kitchen with a very similar feature.

The layout was dictated pretty much by services and windows. However, I wanted to do something a bit different with the wall units. We quite liked the idea of a pantry cupboard for dry food storage, hence the fully bespoke unit sitting on the worktop. At the other end of the run, the units had to be smaller for the extractor to be far enough away from the stove to meet building regs. By continuing this new height to the end, a sequence of steps is created in the Maple units which I was rather pleased with. Several of the wall units have been reduced in width so to avoid filler panels . This compares with the Rosewood which has fillers to the wall and end panels elsewhere. These end panels are the same width as the fillers to balance them visually.

Opposite the wall units is a bespoke cupboard used for mugs and glasses, also in Maple. This replaces another cupboard that came out further and was a hazard for heads. A trick I used here was to hinge the doors in the centre. As the cupboard is above a table this makes it a lot easier to open the doors.

At one end of the kitchen is an opening to the utility area. I made a door in Maple for here, adding a handle in Rosewood to keep the range of materials to a minimum.

Another bit to mention is the upstand on top of the worktop beneath the window. This houses the sockets and provides a raised area for storage jars, flowers etc. Finally, we needed somewhere for our fridge magnets and Reggae Tiger Mascot from when Jamaica made it to the Football World Cup in 1998. I found this combined clock and magnet board on Ebay.